Voted the World’s Best Seaside Park

Take a scroll through Boardwalk History 

First Bathhouses in Santa Cruz
On June 10, 1884, beachgoers enjoy the dedication of the Neptune Bath House built by Captain C.F. Miller.
In 1893, two prominent families in the Bathhouse business combined forces and built the Miller-Leibbrandt Plunge Baths. It was purchased in 1903 by the Santa Cruz Beach Company to be part of the new Neptune Casino complex.
A woman swims far from the Santa Cruz shore in 1893, an unusual sight for the time. On the shore behind her is the Neptune Bath House (left) and the Miller-Leibbrandt Plunge Baths (right).

The popularity of beaches grows in the late 1800s as people come to believe that “taking the waters” is good for their health. Bathhouses spring up along the beach in Santa Cruz, giving visitors a place to safeguard their modesty when changing into bathing clothes before entering the water.

Starting in the 1860s several local families build a number of bathing facilities along the water front, including the Long Branch Bathhouse, the Dolphin Bath House, Neptune Baths, and the Miller-Leibbrandt Plunge Baths. The landscape of the waterfront changes when Fred Swanton secures financing to build the Neptune Casino to the west of the Plunge Baths.

Neptune Casino
Fred Swanton, promoter extraordinaire.
The Neptune Casino—designed by Architect Edward L. Van Cleeck—had a ballroom, theater, and dining areas. It opened on June 11, 1904.
On the beach outside the Neptune Casino, the ladies of Omega Nu sorority (seated in the bandstand) and the crowd watch the end of a sack race in 1904.

Fred Swanton, a local businessman, wants to develop Santa Cruz into the Coney Island of the West. By 1904 he secures funding and government support to build the Neptune Casino next to the Miller-Leibbrandt Plunge, creating one large beach area tourist attraction.

Casino Burns
The blaze destroyed most of the casino and plunge buildings and is thought to have started in the kitchen. As the story goes, Fred Swanton was planning to rebuild bigger and better before the embers had cooled.
The show must go on! In order to serve groups for the 1906 season, a large canvas tent was erected to host beach toursits, in particular, the convention for the California Republican Party.

On June 11, 1906, just two years after its grand opening, disaster strikes! The Neptune Casino burns to the ground. In the weeks after the fire, Swanton forms the Santa Cruz Beach Company, names himself Director-General, and begins raising funds.

2nd Casino and Natatorium
Architect William H. Weeks designed the buildings.
The Casino housed a barber shop, ice cream parlor, mechanical music, salon, cigar store, Western Union, a branch of the public library, a ballroom, and fine dining spaces. It was a place to see and be seen. The Natatorium, a large indoor salt water pool that was supplied by an intake pipe from the Pleasure Pier, was the finest on the west coast.
The Casino and Natatorium lit up at night, 1907.

The second Casino and Natatorium buildings are constructed in an astonishing nine months with an extravagant grand opening on June 15, 1907.

L.A. Thompson Scenic Railway
With cars that traveled up to 25 mph, the four-minute trip covered 1,050 feet of straight wooden track plus curves. It cost $35,000 to construct.

The beach's first thrill ride, a roller coaster known as the L.A. Thompson Scenic Railway, opens on July 1.

Looff Carousel
Rocking chairs were placed in the original hippodrome building so people could sit and listen to the music from the Ruth & Sohn band organ.
Legendary carouseel builder Charles ID Looff.

The Looff Carousel has come to represent the heart and soul of the Boardwalk. Charles ID Looff and his team of carvers manufacture the carousel, install it on the Boardwalk, and operate it starting in 1911.

In 2011 the Boardwalk celebrates the Carousel's 100th anniversary with much fanfare. 

Santa Cruz Seaside Company
Official seal of the Santa Cruz Seaside Company
S. Waldo Coleman, the first president of the Santa Cruz Seaside Company.

In order to save the beach operation from bankruptcy, a group of Bay Area investors forms the Santa Cruz Seaside Company and take over operations from Swanton's failing Beach Company.

S. Waldo Coleman serves as the first of 7 Presidents of the Seaside Company.

Giant Dipper
Arthur Looff (son of carouesl maker Charles Looff) negotiated with the Seaside Company to replace the Scenic Railway with his Giant Dipper. He pulled together a 50-man construction team and in 47 days had completed the coaster.
The coaster opened on May 17, 1924 and has been thrilling riders ever since.

The Giant Dipper begins operation and quickly becomes the Boardwalk’s crown jewel. It speeds riders along the Boardwalk where the sights and sounds and smell of Pacific salt air bolster the ambiance of this breath-taking experience. It’s the oldest wooden roller coaster on the West Coast and the fourth oldest coaster in the U.S. continuously operating in its original location. The Giant Dipper has delivered thrills for generations of guests for nearly 100 years.

Cocoanut Grove
The Seaside Company leased the operation of the Ballroom to the Troyer Brothers.
The Buddy King Orchestra performing in the Cocoanut Grove, 1947.

After almost three decades of operation as the Casino Ballroom, in 1934 the remodeled, redecorated, and renamed Cocoanut Grove ballroom opens on May 5. Under the direction of the Troyer brothers, who also operated the Casa del Rey Hotel, the space is decked out with more than 250 real palm trees for a South Seas look and feel. The Cocoanut Grove hosted some of the major names of the Big Band era.

Casino Modernization

After the tough years of the Depression and World War II, the modernization of the Casino building marks the beginning of a series of improvement projects that elevate the look and feel of the Boardwalk. Completed by then Seaside Company president Laurence Canfield, it also marks the start of the Canfield family's legacy of continuously reinvesting in the park to make it better than before. 

Development of the River End
The Cave Train station, 1965.
The Autorama, 1975.

The popular Autorama and Cave Train rides open in the culmination of a major development of the Boardwalk's river end that also includes a massive basement to house rides and maintenance shops.

Miniature Golf
Filling in the pool with sand, 1963.
Miniature Golf in the Plunge, 1968.

The Plunge pool is removed and replaced with a miniature golf course. When the Pleasure Pier is severely damaged during a winter storm, the Seaside Company management team is forced to make a tough decision: repair the pier and the pipe that brought water into the Plunge pool or demolish the pier and fill in the pool. Due to waning interest in swimming indoors and the cost of repairs the team decides to remove the pier and fill in the pool. 

The pool is filled in with sand and a miniature golf course is put on top as a temporary attraction until a more permanent solution can be found. This course remains in place until the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.

Jet Star
Entrance to the Fun House, 1957.
Demolition of the Fun House building, 1971.
The Jet Star coaster atop the coast deck with food concession and Bumper Cars below, late 1970s.

The Boardwalk's iconic Fun House is razed to make way for a new Bumper Car Ride, food concessions and another coaster ride, the Jet Star, on the upper level of the new building. In subsequent years, successive coaster rides thrill guests, namely the Hurricane Ride, followed by the current Undertow Ride.

Logger's Revenge Replaces the Wild Mouse
Wild Mouse, 1959.
Construction of Logger's Revenge, 1977.
Logger's Revenge station and loading area, 1977.

In 1976, Marriott’s Great America opens in Santa Clara, CA, just 40-miles north of the Boardwalk. Boardwalk management knows the right new ride will help the park remain competitive and focuses on adding an innovative experience – a flume ride. Unfortunately, the ride’s station could only be located where our beloved Wild Mouse resided. Since 1958, the Wild Mouse gave its riders spine-tingling memories that live to this day. However, the new water ride, Logger's Revenge appeals to the family demographic the Boardwalk courted, more so than the rip-roaring compact coaster.

Cocoanut Grove Renovation
Renovation of the Plunge building and Colonnade, 1980.
Design drawing of the glass-ceilinged Sun Room, 1980.

Forced by the need to repair well-worn facilities and fueled by the desire to expand the yearly business cycle, Seaside Company management undertakes a massive renovation project. It entails demolishing and rebuilding the historic plunge building’s beach-side face. This creates a restored colonnade promenade with new restaurants, gift and specialty shops, and skill games. However, the pinnacle of this enormous undertaking involves upgrading the Cocoanut Grove. That includes adding a new, modern glass-ceiling Sun Room, a fully equipped catering kitchen, a new cocktail lounge, and a basement to support it all.

Friday Night Bands on the Beach
The Coasters performing on the Bandstand, 1988.
Freddie Cannon performing on the Bandstand, 1988.
The Shirelles performing on the Bandstand, 1989

Although bands have been playing at the beach for decades, The Persuasions perform the first concert in the "Summertime, Summer Nights Free Bands on the Beach" promotion. The series, later known as "Free Friday Night Bands on the Beach," went on to be one of the most beloved events at the Boardwalk. After 32 summers, 2019 marked the final concert series. 

California State Landmark
California State Historical Landmark plaque

California Historical Landmarks are buildings, structures, sites, or places that are determined to have statewide historical significance. In May 1989, the Boardwalk and Cocoanut Grove together are designated State Historic Landmark #983 in recognition of their continuous contribution to the economy and industries of the State of California since 1907.

Loma Prieta Earthquake

October 17, 1989, 5:04pm - The 6.9 Loma Prieta Earthquake sets in motion a sequence of unprecedented events at the Boardwalk. In the days and weeks following damage to Boardwalk facilities is assessed and a plan is developed to ensure the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk would rise from the quake’s rubble.   

Neptune's Kingdom
Bucanner Bay miniature golf course in Neptune's Kingdom

The 1989 Loma Prieta Earthquake prompts the renovation of the Plunge building. In 1991 Neptune's Kingdom, a nautical-themed entertainment center, opens. The immense original 1907 steel arches curve above the two-story, eighteen hole miniature golf course.

100 Years!
News clippings reporting on the Boardwalk's Centennial Celebration

The Boardwalk gains national and international recognition and status during its centennial celebration with a series of special events, world-wide press coverage, award-winning PR and Marketing campaigns, and winning the Attractions Industry Golden Ticket Award for the Best Seaside Amusement Park. 

Haunted Castle Building
Dante's Inferno, 1932.
Laffland, 1934.
Haunted Castle, 2004.
Haunted Castle, 2010.

A new state-of-the-art dark ride replaces the vintage themed dark rides that occupied the space since the early 1930s.  New concessions, guest services office and operations center, along with staff offices occupy the remaining building spaces.

Main Entrance and Plaza Project

After years of planning the vision for a new Main Entrance and Plaza comes to fruition in 2017 when guests first experience a world-class welcome to the park complete with new rides, attractions, games, and food locations. 

What can we help you find?

Sign up for a monthly round-up of the latest Boardwalk discounts, special events, and insider news!