6th Annual Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
Saturday, October 24, 2015
Competition Rules & Judging Information
Divisions & Entry Fees
Teams may enter one of the following divisions in either, or both, the Red and Vegetarian Red categories.
Amateur- $50 Professional - $75
Amateur - The home-cooking talented amateur.
Professional - The chef that prepares delicacies for others (including restaurants, camps, universities, corporate kitchens, etc.).
- Spectators may purchase tasting kits ($9) containing bowl, spoon, five taste tickets, and a People's Choice Ballot.
- Kits will be available to purchase at 10:00am. Public tasting begins at 1:00pm.
- A spectator must present a taste ticket to receive a two (2) ounce taste of your chili
- Taste Tickets are required even after ticket buckets are turned in. NO CHILI GIVEAWAYS!
- Red Chili is defined as a spicy stew containing any combination of spices and ingredients, cooked with MEAT and having a red hue (may have beans and/or pasta)
- Red Vegetarian Chili is defined as a spicy stew containing any combination of spices and ingredients -EXCEPT meat- cooked to a red hue (may have beans and/or pasta).
- International Chili Society cook-off rules DO NOT apply.
Minimum Chili Amounts:
- Amateur teams are required to cook a minimum of three (3) gallons.
- Professional teams are required to cook a minimum of seven (7) gallons.
- Teams may prepare as many gallons as they wish.
The more chili you make, the better your chance to win!
- Teams not preparing the minimum amounts will be disqualified from the competition.
- There shall be a one-hour preparation period and a three-hour cooking period.
See Cook-Off Schedule for times.
- No ingredients may be pre-treated in any way prior to the preparation period – the only exceptions are canned goods, grinding and/or mixing of spices, pre-soaked beans, and pre-cut or ground meat. All other ingredients shall be chopped or prepared during the preparation period.
- NOTHING MAY BE PRE-COOKED.
Contestants Must Supply:
- All their ingredients and utensils (one ladle will be provided)
- Contestants are allowed (but not required) to give away bread, crackers, corn chips, and/or other toppings to spectators. NO BREAD BOWLS.
- For everyone's safety, NO GLASS CONTAINERS are permitted on the Boardwalk.
- Coleman-type stove (non-liquid fuel ONLY). Please pre-test all stove gas hose lines before the event. Using soapy water to locate leaks in the hose or fittings is recommended. Leaking propane systems cannot be used for cooking.
- If you intend to use a table-top butane stove, you must supply a nonflammable tile-type surface to place on top of the table.
- Propane tanks must be no bigger than 5gallons/20lbs (typical BBQ size) and must be secured. You may have one extra tank for back up.
- There is NO ELECTRICITY available. Gasoline is prohibited.
- ABC type fire extinguisher (MUST be a minimum of 2A10-BC, bigger will be accepted). This identification can be found on the label. All fire extinguishers are to be certified.
- A 10x10 covering/canopy if desired
- Decorations for their booth and their cooking areas as points will be given for booth décor for the Most Original Team award.
- Decorations may NOT be attached to Boardwalk walls, rides, or other structures. No helium cylinders allowed.
- All team-members, decorations, and cooking assistants must be INSIDE the designated booth space.
The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk Will Supply (on event day):
- One (1) 6 ft. table and 10x10 cooking area. All booths should not exceed 10x10 or 8' in height.
- One 2oz serving ladle
- Two trash bags- Teams are responsible for cleaning up their cooking areas
- One parking pass
- Two All-Day Ride Tickets for the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk
- Two complimentary team t-shirts
- People's Choice Ballot Box
- Taste Ticket Box
- Chili tastings are blind and are judged on a point basis for 1) flavor, 2) color, 3) consistency.
- Judges will give greater consideration to traditional recipes.
- A judging time and 16oz judging cup will be delivered to each team between 12noon-1pm.
- It will be the team's responsibility to fill the judging cup and deliver the chili to the judging area at the allotted judging time.
- At approximately 2:45-3:00pm, Red Con Carne team finalists will be asked for another 16oz sample for the judges.
- The People's Choice award is determined by ballot. Ballots are included in each tasting kit, and are cast by the tasting public at each cooking team's table.
- It will be the responsibility of the team to deliver their People's Choice ballot box to the judging area at 3:15pm.
- The Most Tasted awards are determined by the total number of taste tickets collected by each team.
- It will be the responsibility of the team to deliver their Taste Ticket box to the judging area at 3:15pm.
Most Original Team
- Most Original Team award will be determined by our chili judges based on originality of costume and booth decorations.
- Chili judges will judge all booths between 12:30pm-1:30pm.